SAN DIEGO — Even if Hurricane Hilary weakens to a tropical storm by the time it reaches San Diego, its remnants could still bring torrential rain and flooding to parts of the region.
The storm is expected to move north along the Baja coast, with the National Weather Service anticipating its arrival in San Diego this weekend.
For those living in the unincorporated part of the county, Cal Fire officials are offering advice and free sandbags in preparation for Hilary’s stormy debut.
For areas that are not covered by plants, landscaping, grass and trees, periods of heavy rain can cause abrupt flooding and erosion that has the potential to become dangerous.
Cal Fire officials say rain runoff can sweep topsoil, mud, plant material and debris off land and downstream. This could damage homes, clog culverts and even storm drains. This flooding could also damage roadways.
In an effort to help prevent flooding and extreme runoff, the county says sand and bags, or bags alone, will be available for unincorporated residents at the following fire stations:
Sand and Bags
- Bonita: Bonita-Sunnyside Fire Station: 4900 Bonita Road, Bonita, CA 91902, P: 619-479-2346
- De Luz: 39431 De Luz Road, Fallbrook, CA 92028 P: 760-728-2422
- Dulzura: Dulzura Fire Station #30: 17304 Highway 94, Dulzura, CA 91917, P: 619-468-3391
- Fallbrook: Pala Mesa Fire Station #4, 4375 Pala Mesa Drive, Fallbrook, CA 92028, P: 760-723-2005
- Julian: Julian-Cuyamaca: Fire Station #56, 3407 Hwy 79, Julian, CA 92036, P: 760-765-2885
- Ramona: Ramona Fire Station #82, 3410 Dye Road, Ramona, CA 92065, P: 760-789-0107
- Rincon: Rincon Fire Station #70: 16971 Highway 76, Pauma Valley, CA 92061, P: 760-742-3243
- Warner Springs: Sunshine Summit Fire Station #59, 35227 Highway 79, Warner Springs, CA 92086, P: 760-782-9113
- San Diego:
- Council District 1 – Pacific Beach Recreation Center, 1405 Diamond St.
- Council District 2 (inland) – North Clairemont Recreation Center, 4421 Bannock Ave.
- Council District 2 (coastal) – Robb Field Athletic Area, 2525 Bacon St.
- Council District 3 – Golden Hill Recreation Center, 2600 Golf Course Drive.
- Council District 4 – Martin Luther King, Jr. Recreation Center, 6401 Skyline Drive.
- Council District 5 – Scripps Ranch Recreation Center, 11454 Blue Cypress Drive.
- Council District 6 – Standley Recreation Center, 3585 Governor Dr.
- Council District 7 – Allied Gardens Recreation Center, 5155 Greenbrier Ave.
- Council District 8 – San Ysidro Community Activity Center, 179 Diza Road.
- Council District 9 – City Heights Recreation Center, 4380 Landis St.
- Alpine: Alpine Fire Station #17 1364 Tavern Road Alpine, CA 91901 P: 619-445-2635
- Borrego Springs: Ocotillo Wells Fire Station #54 5841 Highway 78, Borrego Springs, CA 92004 P: 760-767-7430
- Campo: Campo Fire Station #40 31577 Highway 94, Campo, CA 91906 P: 619-478-5516
- Campo: Lake Morena Fire Station #42 29690 Oak Drive, Campo, CA 91906 P: 619-478-5960
- Descanso: Descanso Fire Station #45 24592 Viejas Grade Road, Descanso, CA 91916 P: 619-445-7508
- El Cajon: Harbison Canyon Fire Station #24 551 Harbison Canyon Road, El Cajon, CA 92019 P: 619-445-5001
- Escondido: Deer Springs Fire Station #13 10308 Meadow Glen Way East, Escondido, CA 92026 P: 760-751-0820
- Escondido: Miller Fire Station #15 9127 W. Lilac Road, Escondido, CA 92025 P: 760-728-8532
- Jacumba: Jacumba Fire Station #43 1255 Jacumba St., Jacumba, CA 91934 P: 619-766-4535
- Jamul: Deerhorn Fire Station #37 2383 Honeysprings Road, Jamul, CA 91935 P: 619-468-3030
- Laguna: Mt. Laguna Fire Station #49 10385 Sunrise Highway, Mt Laguna, CA 91948 P: 619-473-8281
- Palomar Mountain: Fire Station #79, 21610 Crestline Road, Palomar Mtn., CA 92060, P: 760-742-3701
- Pine Valley: Pine Valley Fire Station #44 28850 Old Highway 80, Pine Valley, CA 91962 P: 619-578-6621
- Portrero: Portrero Fire Station #31 25130 Highway 94, Potrero, CA 91963 P: 619-478-5544
- Ranchita: Ranchita Fire Station #58 37370 Montezuma Valley Road, Ranchita, CA 92066 P: 760-782-3467 *(Not staffed 24/7)
- San Pasqual: San Pasqual Fire Station #84 17701 San Pasqual Valley Road, Escondido, CA 92025 P: 858-573-1322
- Valley Center: Valley Center Fire Station #2, 28205 N. Lake Wohlford Road, Valley Center, CA 92082, P: 760-751-7605
- Warner Springs: Warner Springs Fire Station #52 31049 Highway 79, Warner Springs, CA 92086 P: 760-782-3560
County officials say residents should call ahead to double-check availability as some stations may have a limited supply.
To learn how to properly fill and use sandbags to protect your property, watch this video provided by the county. For more information about how to protect yourself and your property, visit ReadySanDiego.org.
Don’t forget to bring a shovel!