SAN DIEGO – Several school districts in San Diego County will not hold classes Tuesday due to weather, county education officials said.
The Mountain Empire Unified School District will be closed Tuesday due to high winds, the San Diego County Office of Education announced Monday night.
Tuesday morning, it was announced that Julian Union Elementary, Julian Union High and Spencer Valley school districts had declared a snow day and will also be closed Tuesday.
A winter storm is expected to bring high gusts of winds, widespread rain and even snow at higher elevations.
Mountain Empire Unified has its district headquarters in Pine Valley. In total, it consists of eight schools:
- Campo Elementary School;
- Clover Flat Elementary School;
- Descanso Elementary School;
- Potrero Elementary Dual Language Academy;
- Camp Lockett Middle School;
- Pine Valley Middle School;
- Mountain Empire High School; and
- Mountain Empire Alternative Education.
Julian Union Elementary School District consists of:
- Julian Elementary School;
- Julian Junior High School;
- Julian Charter;
- JCS – Mountain Oaks;
- JCS – Cedar Cove;
- Harbor Springs Charter;
- Diego Valley East Public Charter;
- Brookfield Engineering Science Technology Academy
Julian Union High School District consists of Julian High School.
Spencer Valley School District, headquartered in Santa Ysabel, consists of:
- Spencer Valley School
- Insight @ San Diego
- California Virtual Academy @ San Diego
“The safety of students and school staff is of the utmost importance to San Diego County school districts,” the office said in a news release.
Any additional updates will be posted in real-time on the county Office of Education’s Twitter page, officials said.
FOX 5’s Christy Simeral contributed to this report.