Candle sparks Ocean Beach bungalow fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SAN DIEGO – Two people and their pet turtle were homeless Wednesday morning after a candle sparked a fire that destroyed an Ocean Beach bungalow, firefighters said.

The bungalow was on the property of another home at 4928 Saratoga Avenue. The two people living in the bungalow went to sleep with candles burning. They woke up around 2 a.m. to find the bungalow ablaze. They made it out safely along with their pet turtle.

Firefighters knocked down the blaze in about 20 minutes. The Red Cross was helping the residents displaced by the fire.

The fire caused $150,000 in damage to the residence and another $50,000 in damage to property inside the bungalow, which was a total loss, firefighters said. A fence behind the home was also damaged, but crews managed to stop the flames from spreading to nearby bungalows.


Most Popular Stories

Latest News

More News