Warning: The story below contains graphic images.
OKLAHOMA CITY – Krystal Wilson is thankful her 6-month-old Weimaraner, Lake, is safe after a very close call. The dog underwent emergency surgery after she swallowed Gorilla Glue.
Wilson said a family member brought over some Gorilla Glue for a house project last Thursday and left it out, in the dog’s reach.
The curious puppy found the glue and ate some of it.
Wilson said she noticed something was obviously wrong with her dog.
“Just a small amount had just swollen up to the size of a turkey leg. It was huge, pretty much took the size of her stomach,” Wilson said.
Wilson rushed Lake to a local veterinary hospital.
“Gorilla Glue means surgery,” said Dr. Leonardo Baez with Midtown Vets.
Veterinarians worked fast and, within minutes, Lake was in surgery.
“So, the glue, once it gets to the stomach, it slowly starts expanding. You can see here, it’s the perfect shape of a stomach, so you get a mold,” Baez said.
The mold was solid as a rock.
“This thing is seriously hard,” Baez said.
Baez said Gorilla Glue has a very sweet taste, which is appealing to animals and even children.
“Just like any other chemical, do it yourself, just put them up high or in a box where the pets and the kids cannot get to it,” Baez said.
It is a scary lesson for Wilson and her family.
“It’s hard not to feel guilty. You feel like you kind of failed. We were very upset that we failed, but you can’t prevent everything,” Wilson said.
Fortunately, Lake is back home.
“We’re very lucky that she’s here with us, back to her crazy self,” Wilson said.
Baez said Gorilla Glue can be deadly.
Luckily, in this case, they got the mold out in time and Lake is having a fast recovery, already wagging her tail again.