SAN DIEGO - About 30,000 San Diego Gas & Electric customers in San Diego County were without power Tuesday morning from planned safety outages and unplanned outages due to high winds, and the utility opened six community resource centers to assist those without electricity, San Diego Union-Tribune reported.
Monday’s Santa Ana winds led SDG&E to cut electricity to 10,800 customers to minimize the chance that active power lines would throw off sparks that could start wildfires. Early Tuesday, with high winds gusting around the county, the utility expanded the area of planned safety outages west, to include parts of Escondido, Rancho Peñasquitos and Rancho Bernardo.
In addition, high winds were knocking out power to some communities.
A company spokesman said it could not immediately be determined how many of the 30,000 customers without power were safety outages and how many were unplanned.
Due to the outages, the following school districts and schools will be closed Wednesday:
- Julian Union School District
- Julian Union High School District
- Spencer Valley School District
- Jamul-Dulzura School District
- Rancho Santa Fe School District
- Del Lago Academy - Campus of Applied Science in the Escondido Union High School District
- Solana Santa Fe School in the Solana Beach School District
The utility opened four community resource centers Monday and added centers in Julian and Dulzura Tuesday.
"These are facilities where residents can go and get water and can charge their phones or just get information on the outages if they don’t currently have power,” SDG&E spokesman Joe Britton said. “It really is just a community resource; it is not intended as a kind of evacuation center.”
The centers are open from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. and are located at:
• Mountain Empire: Mountain Empire High School Gymnasium, 3305 Buckman Springs Road, Campo, CA 91906
• Potrero: Potrero Resource Center, 24550 Hwy 94, Potrero, CA 91963
• Descanso: Camp Oliver Lodge, 8761 Riverside Drive A, Descanso, CA 91916
• Campo: Golden Acorn Casino & Travel Center, 1800 Golden Acorn Way, Campo, CA 91906
• Julian: Whispering Winds Catholic Camp, 17606 Harrison Park Road, Julian, CA 92036
• Dulzura: Dulzura Community Center, 1136 Community Building Road, Dulzura, CA 91917
More information about the community resource centers can be found at SDG&E’s Wildfire Safety web page https://www.sdge.com/wildfire-safety.