Parents of local Marine say son died doing what he loved

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SAN DIEGO – The parents of a Camp Pendleton Marine killed in a helicopter crash outside Nepal said their son died doing what he cared about the most.

Six U.S. Marines and two Nepalese aid workers were on the helicopter that crashed in Nepal on Tuesday.

The helicopter, based at Camp Pendleton and attached to Marine Light Helicopter Squadron 469, disappeared over the town of Charikot hours after a magnitude-7.3 earthquake struck the region earlier this week.

Marine Lt. Gen. John Wissler, Commanding General, III Marine Expeditionary Force, Joint Task Force 505 and Marine Forces Japan, said during a news conference in Nepal that the wreckage of the UH-1Y Huey was found about 8 miles north of Charikot shortly before 2 p.m. Friday Nepal Standard Time in “exceptionally rugged terrain” in a dense forest at an altitude of about 11,000 feet.

One of the pilots was identified as Captain Chris Norgren.

“He loved to fly and he loved to help people,” the captain’s father Ron Norgren said.

Captain Dustin Lukasiewicz was apparently another pilot who was on the helicopter, according to family members.

A relative told Lukasiewicz’s hometown Nebraska paper that his mother and stepfather live in Fallbrook with Lukasiewicz’s wife who is expecting a child in just a few weeks.

Just a few days before the crash, Lukasiewicz narrated a military video from Nepal.

“We were able to deliver some rice, potatoes and tarps up to a smaller village just east of Kathmandu….we stand with the people of Nepal,” said Lukasiewicz in the video.

Another victim, identified by family members, was Jacob Hug. The family said he was from Phoenix worked as a videographer.

A family friend confirmed that Sgt. Mark Johnson was another man onboard the chopper.

“We’ve delivered over 68,000 pounds of needed supplies to the outer villages and we also plan to deliver another 140,000 pounds before we leave,” said Sgt. Johnson in a video shot the week prior to the crash.

Many friends and family are still holding on to hope Friday that the worst isn’t true and their loved ones will be able to complete their mission.

“I believe in my heart…that there might be some hope out there,” said Terri Norgren.

Download Fox 5 iPhone app  |  Download Fox 5 Android app

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Most Popular Stories

Latest News

More News