Officers, K-9 injured in brawl that ends in gunfight

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

SAN DIEGO - A standoff with a man who choked and punched two officers and a K-9 before barricading himself in a Clairemont-area home ended in a shootout overnight, police said Tuesday.

Police were sent to investigate a report of two people fighting at 1431 Mount Saint Helens Drive around 9:10 p.m. Monday . A woman called police to say that her ex-boyfriend, 33-year-old Hayden Gerson, had become violent, according to Homicide Lt. Mike Holden.

When officers arrived, Gerson reportedly became combative. He was tasered twice by police, but it was ineffective. That's when Gerson allegedly choked and punched two officers and a K-9. Both officers had cuts and bruises. They were transported to the hospital with minor injuries.

The suspect then barricaded himself in the home and the situation quickly escalated into a SWAT team response.

The SWAT team was in the process of setting up a perimeter when Gerson allegedly opened fire on two of the officers. They returned fire, but no one was shot during the gun battle, Holden said.

Gerson came out of the house unarmed shortly after the shootout, began fighting with several officers including a police K-9 unit and was eventually handcuffed and taken into custody, Holden said.

A hazardous materials team and a bomb squad responded this morning to the scene shortly before 7 a.m. after they found "suspicious containers" at the home, Capt. Joe Amador of the San Diego Fire Rescue Department said. They gave the all-clear about two hours later.

The officers who were involved in the gun battle were not identified. One of them is a 5-year veteran of the police department, while the other has nine years on the job, according to Holden.

Gerson is charged with three counts of attempted murder of a police officer.

Most Popular Stories

Latest News

More News