New fire at Camp Pendleton prompts evacuations

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CAMP PENDLETON, Calif. — A third wildfire broke out at Camp Pendleton Friday, prompting evacuations in the northwestern sector of the base, Marine officials said.

The fire started at about 11:30 a.m. in the Talega area of the base, a training area that includes live-fire ranges and combat training facilities. Base officials did not say how the fire started, but it had spread to about 700+ acres by Friday night. It remains at 0% contained.

A base public affairs officer told Fox 5 that most of the northern half of the base had been ordered to evacuate, including:

  • the Camp San Mateo office complex
  • the Camp San Onofre family housing area
  • the School of Infantry

Two other large fires continue to burn out of control on the base. The Pulgas Fire had grown to 14,500 acres by Friday night and is 0% contained. The Tomahawk fire had burned an estimated 6,500 acres and was 65 percent contained as of 7:45 p.m., according to base officials.

Most Popular Stories

Latest News

More News