SAN DIEGO – For the second time in as many days, a phony bomb threat was made to Naval Base San Diego.
A maintenance building at the 32nd Street Navy base was evacuated Thursday because of a telephoned bomb threat, but a search of the building turned up nothing, authorities said.
The threat was phoned in at about 7:15 a.m., the Navy said.
Building 36, the Southwest Regional Maintenance Center, was evacuated and a security perimeter was set up around the building, officials said. Naval Base San Diego was never locked down.
A Navy bomb squad searched the building as a precaution, but they found nothing and declared the building safe shortly after 11 a.m.
This was the second bomb hoax at the base in as many days. Wednesday a handwritten note prompted a bomb scare at the base. That note indicated that a bomb had been place at Pier 5.