Mother of 3 killed in pool party rampage

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SAN DIEGO – The 35-year-old woman killed by a gunman who shot multiple people at a pool party in University City was a mother of three, according to her friends.

Monique Clark’s relatives and friends from coast-to-coast have been expressing their grief on social media since Sunday’s deadly shooting.

A GoFundMe account has been set up by friends to help pay for funeral expenses and to assist her children. In less than an hour, donors have given more than $1900 of a $5,000 goal.

A 49-year-old auto mechanic carried out a shooting rampage at his University City apartment complex, killing Clark and wounding six others, police said. He was upset over a breakup and apparently targeted his victims randomly, authorities said Monday.  The gunman was killed by police officers.

“I heard boom boom and I physically saw it,” said Demetrius Griffin.

Griffin was at the pool party when Selis opened fire.  He told FOX 5 he was standing about 15 feet away from the shooter.  He called Clark a close friend, someone who was just as beautiful on the inside as she was out.

“Sensitive, caring, nurturing and loving.  I mean I could go on all day,” said Griffin. “She was Godsend she was an angel.”

Griffin didn’t want to say much for respect of Clark’s family, but said he had known her for about two years.  He said she was part of a close-knit group of friends who would gather for a pool party at the apartment complex once a month.  He said Clark was one of the nicest people he knew.

Police have said the shooting is not racially motivated.  Griffin said none of that mattered.

“I don’t care what it’s labeled as you can label it whatever you want, what I care about is one of my friends is dead. Two other of my friends are in critical condition,” said Griffin.

Four women and three men suffered bullet wounds during the assault. Clark was pronounced dead at Sharp Memorial Hospital Sunday.

A fourth man suffered a broken wrist and hand and suffered a concussion while fleeing the gunfire.

Two of the wounded remained hospitalized Monday afternoon in critical but stable condition, according to police.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Most Popular Stories

Latest News

More News