This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SAN DIEGO – A handful of people became sick Tuesday at a pharmaceutical company in Sorrento Valley, including a man who reportedly stopped breathing, San Diego fire official said.

The people who fell ill were hit after eating food a co-worker brought to the office at Inovio Pharmaceuticals, according to a San Diego Fire-Rescue Department spokeswoman. A 60-year-old man collapsed outside the business, she said.

Medics took him to a trauma center. His condition unknown, the fire official said. Another person was taken to a hospital and two others found other people to take them to get medical treatment.

It is unclear what type of food, or substance within it, caused the illnesses.