SAN DIEGO -- A man is not expected to survive his injuries after a group of young people attacked him on a pedestrian bridge near Petco Park in the middle of the afternoon Sunday, San Diego Police confirmed.
Officers were called about a man getting attacked by a group of "juveniles" shortly after 2 p.m.
— Justina Myers (@JustinaReports) November 19, 2018
Witnesses said the man had been arguing with a group of teens, both boys and girls, when they knocked him to the ground and started beating him. When people started yelling at the group to stop, they took off running down Imperial Avenue.
When officers arrived, the man was lying unconscious on the bridge. Paramedics rushed him to the hospital but the man is not expected to survive, SDPD Lt. Matt Dobbs confirmed.
Officers taped off the area near Imperial Avenue and closed the pedestrian bridge for several hours.
"There was probably 20 cop cars," one witness told FOX 5. "We kind of knew something serious was happening when it’s been several hours that they’ve been here."
Several people were stopped by officers for questioning but investigators weren't able to determine if they were involved in the attack. Police described the victim as a black man in his forties but did not release his identity.
Anyone with information about the attack was urged to call the Homicide Unit at 619-531-2293 or Crime Stoppers 888-580-8477.