Man using lighter starts apartment fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SAN DIEGO — A man in his 20s suffered serious burns Saturday night when a fire broke out in the bedroom of his Ocean Beach apartment.

The fire started when the resident used a lighter to find some clothing in his dark closet, according to investigators. A T-shirt caught fire and quickly spread.

“Tried to pick the clothing up, take them outside. In the process, burned his right hand and dropped a lot of burning clothing throughout the unit, which caused the fire to spread,” said SDFD Battalion Chief Jeff Mitchell.

The man was taken to a hospital.

Neighbors helped douse the flames until firefighters arrived, who were able to contain the blaze to the bedroom. The fire caused about $25,000 in damage.

Most Popular Stories

Latest News

More News