SAN DIEGO — The suspect killed after exchanging gunfire with San Diego police while barricaded in an Encanto home Monday night had shot his mother and two dogs, authorities said.

Officers were dispatched to the scene around 8:45 p.m. after receiving reports for a shooting at a residence on the 500 block of Iona Drive near the intersection of Market Street and Akins Avenue.

Upon arrival, SDPD said the responding officers saw an elderly woman and a dog down in the driveway in front of the home, each suffering from multiple gunshot wounds.

As they tried to approach the victim and the dog, the suspect, identified as a 43-year-old man, began firing at the officers from inside the home. One officer returned fire at the suspect in response, SDPD said. It is unknown if the suspect was struck by the rounds fired at that time.

After the initial shooting with police, officers utilized a patrol vehicle to perform an emergency rescue operation of the woman in the driveaway. As officers performed the rescue, the suspect continued to fire at law enforcement from the residence, according to SDPD.

Once away from the driveway, life-saving measures were attempted on the woman, who was suffering from wounds to her upper body and leg. However, she was later pronounced dead at the scene by medical personnel.

Additional units were requested by SDPD due to the continued gunfire from the suspect, the agency said. By 10 p.m., a heavy police presence surrounded the house, including officers from SDPD’s Special Weapons and Tactics Unit (SWAT) and a helicopter.

Law enforcement attempted to get the suspect to surrender, but he reportedly refused.

Minutes later, around 10:10 p.m., the suspect then appeared to set fire in the home. FOX 5 crews at the scene Monday night reported hearing gunshots erupt right before the flames became visible.

Nearly an hour after the fire was started, the suspect was shot by law enforcement, subsequently ending the standoff. He was transported to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead at 10:58 p.m.

San Diego Fire-Rescue was able to extinguish the house fire by 11 p.m. It is unknown how much of the home was impacted. Multiple firearms were recovered from the residence, however, including a rifle, a shotgun and a handgun.

While little is known about the homicide that initiated the standoff, SDPD said the suspect appeared to be the victim’s son. For unknown reasons, he shot and killed his mother, as well as two dogs. It was not disclosed where the second dog was found.

The identity of the victim is being withheld by law enforcement, pending family notifications. SDPD described her as a 74-year-old woman.

The suspect’s identity has also not been disclosed due to the ongoing investigation into the officer-involved shooting. There are no other suspects in the incident, SDPD said.

As officers responded to the standoff, authorities cordoned off a large area surrounding the house for several hours Monday night. Several residences within the perimeter were evacuated during the standoff, the San Diego County Sheriff’s Office said. The perimeter is shown below in a map posted by SDPD to X, formerly known as Twitter.

Photo of impacted area surrounding the Encanto shooting. (Courtesy of San Diego Police Department)

Per the Countywide Memorandum of Understanding, the SDSO Homicide Unit was called to the scene to conduct an investigation into the shooting involving the SDPD officer. 

When deputies conclude their investigation, it will be reviewed by the San Diego County District Attorney’s office to determine if the officers bear any criminal liability for their actions. It will also be reviewed by the Commission on Police Practices.

SDPD will conduct a separate administrative investigation into the officer’s discharge of their weapon, the department said.

According to SDSO, the federal Department of Justice was also notified of the incident.

Anyone with information regarding this incident is encouraged to call the Homicide Unit at 619-531-2293 or leave an anonymous tip with Crime Stoppers at 888-580-8477. 

FOX 5’s Jaime Chambers contributed to this story.