This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SAN DIEGO – Five apartments were damaged and multiple tenants were displaced in a fire Sunday that was believed to have begun in a dryer unit, authorities said.

The fire was reported about 3 p.m. with flames visible coming out of the roof of the Center Point apartment complex in the 6500 block of Friars Road, the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department said. Firefighters say the blaze originated from a dryer in one of the units and quickly spread to the roof and attic of the building.

In total, the fire was responsible for more than $1 million in destruction, the agency said.

Officials say that the Red Cross has been notified and is working to assist displaced residents.

No injuries were reported from the fire, but one police officer was bitten by a dog at the scene.