This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SAN DIEGO — A kidnapping suspect was arrested Saturday afternoon after a lengthy police chase and an hours-long SWAT standoff, police said. 

Adrian Lamont Brooks, 45, was arrested on suspicion of kidnapping, weapons violations, violation of a domestic violence restraining order, committing a felony while on bail and evasion, according to Lt. Adam Sharki of the San Diego Police Department. 

Officers and a SWAT team had the vehicle surrounded near the intersection of 54th and Lea Street in Mid-City, an SDPD watch commander said. Traffic was blocked and residents on nearby Chollas Parkway and Steamview Drive were initially asked to stay away from the area for several hours, but police have since opened the street back up.

The chase started around 7 a.m. at 5200 Rex Avenue in City Heights, where officials were called about a man with a gun in the alley, according to the police spokesperson. Officers arrived at the home and saw a man drive off in a van with a woman who yelled for help. Believing a kidnapping was occurring, police attempted to pull the man over, but he refused to stop and police chased him through the Mid-City area, Sharki said.

Eventually officers were able to get a spike strip under the car to puncture the driver’s tires. The van, a large passenger-style vehicle, could be seen in video from OnScene.TV winding slowly through a parking lot and losing air from several of its tires. A short time later, it came to a stop at the intersection in Mid-City.

Sharki said the officers, who had determined the woman had been kidnapped by the driver, moved in and ushered the woman away from the van, pulling her to a safe distance and then turning their attention back to the driver in the vehicle. It wasn’t immediately clear what the woman’s relationship was to the man, but she had emerged from the van with a suitcase in her hand and officers could be seen interviewing her at a distance.

As police stood by and shouted commands, the man leaned forward and pulled the passenger-side van door shut. A unit with a police dog, a SWAT team and tactical paramedics with the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department were called in. The SDPD watch commander said the man was thought to be armed at one point, but it wasn’t clear if he still had a weapon.

After refusing to exit the vehicle for several hours, Sharki said the SDPD’s Emergency Negotiation Team and Special Weapons and Tactics Team were called in to help deescalate and resolve the situation. The suspect was taken into custody shortly after noon, and a firearm was recovered during the incident. 

FOX 5’s Domenick Candelieri contributed to this report.