SAN DIEGO — A man was shot and killed by San Diego police officers who were responding to a report of a shooting in City Heights late Monday night, authorities said.

Around 11 p.m., SDPD received a call alerting authorities that a male suspect had shot a female victim at a house in the 4500 block of Polk Avenue. According to the San Diego County Sheriff’s Office, the reporting party told the dispatcher during the call that the suspect was still outside the home with a firearm.

Upon arrival to the scene, officers located the victim with a minor wound to the forehead. She also identified the suspect to responding officers, but he had reportedly left the scene.

About half an hour later, officers located the suspect in the 400 block of Wightman Street, prompting them to attempt to make contact with him. At that time, SDSO said that the suspect ran while reaching into his waistband.

Officers gave the suspect several warnings, but SDSO said he did not comply. Three officers then shot at the man with their duty weapons, firing multiple rounds with at least one striking the suspect. As officers approached the suspect, authorities said they located his firearm.

Officers then began to render aid to the suspect until paramedics arrived and transported him to a hospital where he was later pronounced dead, SDPD confirmed to FOX 5. The man’s identity is being withheld by authorities at this time.

No other injuries were reported by authorities as a result of the incident.

The area surrounding the scene of the shooting was cordoned off for several hours Tuesday morning for authorities’ investigation, leaving resident on edge.

Ramon Partida, who lives in the neighborhood, told FOX 5 that he had just arrived home when he heard the gunshots.

“I just happen to go inside. I was lucky to go inside my house by 30 minutes,” he said, adding that he heard “like five but more than five and then after that another two.”

“I didn’t come out of the house,” Partida added. “I didn’t want to put anybody at risk. My family, no don’t pay any attention. I mean it is worrisome, but we have no business outside.”

An investigation into the shooting that prompted officers to be dispatched to the area remains ongoing at this time. According to SDSO, detectives are currently gathering evidence, interviewing witnesses, and examining the circumstances surrounding the shooting.

Per the Countywide Memorandum of Understanding, the SDSO Homicide Unit will be conducting the investigation into the officers’ firing of their duty weapons. When the unit completes its investigation, the San Diego County District Attorney’s Office will determine if the officers bear any state criminal liability for their actions, SDSO said.

SDPD and the Commission of Police Practices will also conduct reviews of the incident.

Anyone with information about this incident is asked to call the Homicide Unit at 858-285-6330 or after hours at 858-565-5200.  Those who wish to remain anonymous can do so by calling Crime Stoppers at 888-580-8477.

FOX 5’s Elizabeth Alvarez contributed to this report.