This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Warning: The content of this video may be disturbing to some viewers.

CHULA VISTA, Calif. — Officers shot and killed a man on a South Bay freeway overnight after a police chase that ranged from Orange County to San Diego, California Highway Patrol confirmed.

Officers shot the man after he got out of his car around 1:15 a.m. Sunday. He later died at the hospital, officials confirmed, though they shared few details about what happened in the moments before he was shot.

It all began with a “multi-area pursuit” from Orange County south toward San Diego, finally coming to an end when the driver pulled over on southbound Interstate 805 just north of Orange Avenue in Chula Vista, CHP Officer Salvador Castro confirmed.

In video shot by a freelance photographer for OnScene TV, officers could be seen taking cover behind their vehicles and pointing their weapons toward the stopped car. Police gave commands to the driver over a loudspeaker, but the occupants of the car could not be seen from the angle of the video.

A short time later, at least 10 gunshots could be heard. Video shows a man very briefly appear in the frame, standing in the freeway lanes facing police, as the officers open fire.

The man lay motionless on the ground after the gunfire ceased. Officers with a police dog moved in and gave the man orders, but he did not appear to respond. Eventually authorities gave the man CPR in the roadway, and he was later loaded into an ambulance.

Police say the man was officially declared dead at the hospital a short time later. His identity was not immediately released.

Officer Castro told reporters that no officers were wounded in the shooting.

Authorities promised further information later Sunday, as it remained unclear whether the man had been armed, what specifically led up to the shooting and whether anyone else had been in the vehicle.

All lanes of southbound I-805 were closed at Orange Avenue overnight and into Sunday afternoon as San Diego Sheriff’s Department and San Diego Police Department joined CHP in the investigation.

All lanes of 805 reopened just after 4 p.m., deputies said. The sheriff’s department shared a CHP news release on Twitter but it gave no new details about what led officers to open fire.