2 children hurt in Serra Mesa garage fire

Local

SAN DIEGO — Two children were hurt, one critically, when a fire tore through a garage in Serra Mesa late Sunday, according to first responders.

Video showed San Diego Fire-Rescue battling flames that spread from a detached garage to a nearby car at the Village at Serra Mesa on Murray Ridge Road. The children, believed to be 2 and 4 years old, were rescued from the garage and taken to UC San Diego Health’s burn center.

Fadi Moasa, who works at a gas station across the street, said he saw smoke coming from the garage around 11:35 p.m.

“Some customer pulled up and we started hearing screams, saying, ‘Help! Help!'” Moasa said. “So I locked the gas station up and we ran over there. The fire had already become kind of bad.”

Moasa said they forced their way inside the garage and helped rescue the two children. One child was taken to the hospital in critical condition, firefighters said. The second child was said to be in stable condition but the extent of their injuries was unclear.

“One was passed out. He had to be revived by the ambulance,” Moasa said. “Both burnt, crucially.”

Video showed firefighters working to put out flames that spread to a car parked in front of the garage. The fire was determined to be accidental, according to SDFD.

The fire department called in engineers because they feared the garage, which was completely destroyed, would collapse. Property damage was estimated at $60,000 while up to $30,000 in assets were destroyed.

Check back for updates on this developing story.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Most Popular Stories

Latest News

More News