Man killed at apartment complex; police fatally shoot suspected gunman


SAN DIEGO (CNS) — A man was shot and killed Friday afternoon at a City Heights apartment complex, leading to a SWAT standoff and officer-involved shooting several hours later that left the suspected assailant dead.

The gunfire at the residential complex in the 3800 block of Euclid Avenue was reported shortly after 3:30 p.m., according to San Diego police.

Patrol personnel arrived to find the 62-year-old victim on the ground at the complex, mortally wounded. Medics took him to a hospital, where he died.

Officers tracked down the suspected shooter at a nearby residence in the area of Auburn Drive and University Avenue, police said. When the suspect refused to surrender, special weapons and tactics personnel were called in.

At one point, police say the suspected shooter came outside and challenged officers to come get him. He later walked down the stairs as he concealed his right hand behind his legs and turned towards the officers, pointing a gun at them, police said. At that point, officers opened fire on the 32-year-old man, killing him.

Details on what prompted the initial gunfire were not immediately available. Homicide investigators say there was no relationship between the suspected shooter and the victim, who they say was an innocent man working on the adjoining apartment.

Police say the suspected shooter was on their radar before the incident.

โ€œHis mother had recently contacted the police about an incident within the last week where he had threatened her with a handgun, put a handgun in her face, and fired at least three rounds off inside the apartment,” Lt. Matt Dobbs said. “She fled for her safety but did not originally report the incident to police. When Mid-City investigations became aware of this incident, they were obtaining the information to prepare an arrest warrant for this subject as well as to obtain a gun violence restraining order.โ€

Dobbss said that man’s gun was not registered to him and that he had a history of mental illness.

The names of the victim and the suspected shooter have not been released.

The three officers who fired their weapons have been placed on administrative leave during the investigation.

Most Popular Stories

Latest News

More News