La Mesa man charged with making threats against Muslims

News
la-mesa-police
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

LA MESA, Calif. – A 53-year-old La Mesa man Tuesday pleaded not guilty to charges of making telephone death threats against Muslim groups in San Diego and Washington.

John David Weissinger is charged with making threats against the Council on American-Islamic Relations in both locations. The threats included profanity and vows to kill Muslims, according to prosecutors.

At Weissinger’s home, police found an assault rifle and racist writings, said Deputy Dist. Atty. Oscar Garcia.

After a brief hearing in San Diego County Superior Court, Weissinger remained free on $50,000 bond.

Weissinger’s attorney told reporters that his client had been drinking and was angered by the massacre of journalists in Paris.

But Hanif Mohebi, executive director of the San Diego chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, said that Weissinger should have been denied bail.

Read more at Los AngelesTimes.

OTHER STORIES:

Download Fox 5 iPhone app  |  Download Fox 5 Android app

Most Popular Stories

Latest News

More News