Judge to decide if men will stand trial in barbershop slaying

News

Barbershop, Murder

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SAN DIEGO — Two men accused in the ambush and fatal shooting of an Oak Park barbershop owner nearly one year ago were in court Tuesday along with several of the victim’s family.

A preliminary hearing was underway Tuesday for Peter Johnson, 50, and Ian Patrick Guthrie, 39, who are charged with murder in the May 9, 2014, death of Lamar Canady.

Family members said Canady was a former gang member but left the Crips years ago. However, they suspected the motive for the fatal shooting was retaliation because Canady was killed on a day associated with gang retribution.

The victim’s mother was visibly emotional in court and had to leave the room.

Deputy District Attorney Sophia Roach said last year that Johnson — an alleged member of a well-organized criminal organization — came to San Diego a few days before May 9, 2014, to carry out the murder.

Guthrie — an alleged member of a high-level international drug trafficking operation — acted as a lookout in the planned and premeditated killing, Roach said.

The prosecutor said 14 casings were found at the crime scene at Canady’s barbershop on Redwood Street, and many of the shots hit the 32-year-old victim, a father of four.

Following the preliminary hearing, Superior Court Judge Amalia Meza will determine whether enough evidence was presented to order the defendants to stand trial.

Download Fox 5 iPhone app  |  Download Fox 5 Android app

Most Popular Stories

Latest News

More News