SAN DIEGO — A third coronavirus death was reported in San Diego County Thursday afternoon as officials warned residents not to grow complacent.
“The enemy we’re facing today is invisible,” County Board of Supervisors Chairman Greg Cox said. “We know the virus is out there, but we really can’t see it — especially in people who don’t have symptoms.”
So far, the three deaths reported in the county have all been patients aged 70 or older.
On Thursday, officials said there is substantial transmission in the county and urged residents to continue practicing social distancing to help curb the spread.
“It is really important to continue to reiterate to the public that we are in the very front end of this situation, and now is not a period to be lulled into any sense of complacency,” County Supervisor Nathan Fletcher said Thursday. “It is a period to know that these are critical days.”
As the virus spreads, the county has put out the call for volunteers for the Medical Reserve Corps, calling on health care providers and members of medical disaster response teams to offer their services.