Gas leak prompts evacuations at Chula Vista retirement home

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CHULA VISTA, Calif. — Evacuation and shelter-in-place orders were issued at a Chula Vista retirement home Friday afternoon when a gas line ruptured near Fredericka Manor Care Center, the Chula Vista Fire Department confirmed.

Officials said gas started blowing from a break in a one-inch line on the 100 block of 3rd Avenue around 3 p.m.

San Diego Gas & Electric responded to the scene to help contain the break, and around 5 p.m. fire crews said the leak appeared to be contained.

Officials believe the gas break was caused by a golf cart hitting the line.

Most residents affected by the leak were simply asked to shelter-in-place, CVFD said — the evacuation orders were minimal.

Most Popular Stories

Latest News

More News