Fumes sicken downtown office workers

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SAN DIEGO — Emergency crews evacuated two floors of a downtown office building Monday after several dozen workers inside reported feeling ill because of fumes, a fire-rescue spokesman said.

The fumes were reported at about 1:30 p.m. in the 24-story Bridgepoint Building at 600 B Street.  Paramedics from the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department examined 24 people, most of them office workers for Ashford University, on the sidewalk in front of the building, SDFRD spokesman Maurice Luque said. Three people, including a pregnant woman, were taken to Sharp Memorial Hospital and UCSD Medical Center for additional treatment, Luque said. None of them appeared to be seriously ill, he said.

Hazardous materials teams traced the fumes to epoxy resin that was being applied to the floor in the basement of the building, Luque said. The fumes somehow got into the building ventilation system, he said.

Children in a third-floor day-care center were unaffected.

The university sent all employees who work at the building home for the day.

Most Popular Stories

Latest News

More News