Fumes from fiberglass business prompt evacuations

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Fiberlay HazmatSAN DIEGO — A hazardous materials team was called to a Morena-area fiberglass business Wednesday afternoon after a container of resin began releasing potentially dangerous fumes, authorities said.

A 55-gallon drum of a chemical used to harden fiberglass popped open shortly after 1 p.m. at Fiberlay, Inc., at 5304 Custer Street, according to San Diego Fire-Rescue Department spokesman Maurice Luque. The chemical apparently became contaminated with another chemical, causing a reaction that produced a cloud of fumes, Luque said.

Fiberlay employees evacuated the building and the fire department hazardous materials team was sent to the business, along with a fire truck and police.  Authorities also evacuated workers at nearby businesses as a precaution.

Hazardous materials technicians determined that the drum of resin was cooling down, indicating that the chemical reaction was slowing down, Luque said. They moved the drum away from other chemicals to prevent it from starting a chemical fire.

No one was injured by the fumes.

Most Popular Stories

Latest News

More News