Prosecutors filed nearly three dozen sexual assault charges Wednesday against a man wanted by police in connection with last week’s abduction of a 10-year-old Northridge girl.
Tobias Dustin Summers, 32, faces additional charges of kidnapping and first-degree burglary, the Los Angeles County district attorney’s office said. If convicted, he faces multiple life terms in prison.
Summers remains at large. Authorities said this week they had broadened their search to San Diego.
Also Wednesday, prosecutors charged a secondary suspect in connection with the case. Daniel Martinez, 29, was charged Wednesday with felony counts of kidnapping a minor under the age of 14 and first-degree burglary, prosecutors said.
Martinez, who was arrested Sunday about two miles from the girl’s home, was scheduled to be arraigned Wednesday afternoon. If convicted, he faces up to 12 years in prison.
Law enforcement sources told The Times the March 27 incident was believed to have begun as a “hot prowl” burglary. Authorities did not immediately disclose how or why it escalated, though sources told The Times that Martinez was not believed to have initiated the kidnapping or participated in the assault.