A dozen homes evacuated because of gas leak

News

It happened around 1 p.m. Monday at 3865 Chamoune Avenue, north of City Heights, the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department said.

SAN DIEGO — A construction accident caused a natural gas leak that prompted brief evacuations in a City Heights-area neighborhood Monday afternoon.

The flammable fumes began spewing out of a damaged half-inch-diameter utility pipe in an alley off the 3800 block of Chamoune Avenue about 1 p.m., according to the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department.

Authorities cleared people out of about a dozen nearby homes while San Diego Gas & Electric crews worked to shut off the damaged line. The problem was under control by shortly before 2 p.m., SDG&E spokeswoman Denice Menard said.

The mishap left a single home temporarily without gas service. The residence was back on line about 4:30 p.m., Menard said.

There were no reports of anyone suffering ill effects from the wafting vapors.

https://twitter.com/SDFD_Incidents/status/1194000118485176322

 

Most Popular Stories

Latest News

More News