Man loses lifelong surfboard collection in garage fire

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SAN DIEGO — An Ocean Beach man lost his lifelong surfboard collection when his garage went up in flames Tuesday evening.

“I know there’s people out there that have had a lot worse happen. Our house is intact, we are safe, our animals are safe. It’s just all the reasons I get up in the morning are gone,” said Albert Elliott, longtime Ocean Beach resident.

Firefighters quickly extinguished the blaze that broke out inside the garage in the 2000 block of Froude Street shortly after 5 p.m., according to San Diego Fire-Rescue Department.

Along with his surfboards, the homeowner’s motorhome was also destroyed in the fire.

The man had used the garage for surfboard repair, and a hazardous materials team was called out to evaluate the chemicals and materials inside.

The homeowner told fire officials he smelled an electrical odor and believes the fire started in the area of an electric bike charger attached in the garage.

No one was inside the building at the time of the fire. Two cats were removed and picked up by the San Diego Humane Society.

The fire also slightly damaged a neighboring fence.

Most Popular Stories

Latest News

More News