Air conditioning unit blamed for La Mesa fire

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SAN DIEGO – An air conditioning unit was to blame for starting a fire at a house in La Mesa Tuesday afternoon, according to witnesses.

The resident was working on a trailer in the 7300 block of Colony Drive at 2:43 p.m.  when a neighbor told him there was smoke pouring out of a window, the witness told FOX 5.  It took crews about 10 minutes to subdue a fire, according to Heartland Fire & Rescue.

A malfunctioning window AC unit installed in one of the rooms caught fire, the witness said.

Firefighters were able to contain the structural damage to two bedrooms and the attic of the single-story house, though the flames also charred some nearby trees and caused an overhead electrical wire to fall to the ground, fire Capt. Sonny Saghera said.

Medics took a retirement-age woman who lives next door to the burned residence to Alvarado Hospital Medical Center for treatment of apparently non- life-threatening smoke inhalation, Saghera said. No other injuries were reported.

Heartland Fire Department crews were investigating the incident.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Most Popular Stories

Latest News

More News