SDG&E officials said a furnace that is not in good working order could emit carbon monoxide, which is colorless, odorless and tasteless and is formed by the incomplete combustion of carbon-based fuels.
“After months of non-use, customers may be unaware if their furnace is not operating properly,” SDG&E’s Vice President of Customer Service Caroline Winn said. “Scheduling an appliance safety check is an easy way our customers can make sure their gas appliances are in good working order.”
The early stages of carbon monoxide poisoning include nausea, unexplained drowsiness, confusion and flu-like symptoms. If carbon monoxide is suspected a resident should turn off the appliance if it is safe to do so, then evacuate the residence, call 911 and seek medical assistance.
SDG&E customers may schedule a free appliance safety check appointment by calling 800-411-7343 or through the “Check My Appliances” link on the utility’s website, officials said.
Utility officials also recommended that customers change the batteries in the their carbon monoxide detectors and smoke alarms.