Portable heater sparks South Bay garage fire

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CHULA VISTA, Calif. — A portable heater being used too close to flammable materials in the garage of an Otay Mesa house sparked a fire Monday that displaced five residents.

The non-injury blaze in the 800 block of Narwhal Street was reported about 7:15 a.m., according to the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department.

Firefighters were able to get the flames under control within five minutes, SDFRD spokeswoman Monica Munoz said.

The American Red Cross was called in to help the four adults and one child who live in the home arrange for interim housing.

“We always remind folks not to walk away from a space heater that is on,” Munoz said. “Also, never plug a space heater into a power strip, and have at least three feet of clearance all around the space heater.”

Most Popular Stories

Latest News

More News