Fallout continues 6 months after Lincoln High School brawl

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Data pix.
SAN DIEGO – Parents, teachers and community leaders gathered outside Lincoln High School Wednesday morning to protest a statement made by the police union on the first day of classes about a campus brawl that happened in  February.

Lincoln Parent Teacher Organization President Cindy Barros, said the group was upset with the union’s response after a student allegedly involved in an attack on a school resource officer was allowed to return to the school.

"I am frustrated and confused why the San Diego School Police Officer Association decided to host a press conference in regards to an isolated incident that occurred 7 months ago on the first day of school. Clearly San Diego School Police Association President Jesus Montano does not have the students' best interest in mind,” Barros said.

Cell phone video recorded the lunchtime melee last school year, where dozens of students, including Lincoln High student Jesse Duncan, mobbed a parking garage to "play fight" and it turned into an outright brawl. A school resource officer who tried to step in and control the situation was sent to the hospital and a student was injured.

Duncan and another student were arrested and faced several charges, including felony assault on an officer. Duncan, who pleaded not guilty to five charges and was released to his parents under home detention and electronic surveillance, was allowed to return to school this week.

The San Diego Schools Police Officers Association issued a statement on August 28 stating they were ‘utterly disappointed and caught off guard’ by the San Diego Unified School District’s decision to allow Duncan to return to Lincoln High this year.

The union says in an effort to move forward it agreed to transfer the involved officer if Duncan wouldn't be allowed to return to Lincoln.

“Now we find ourselves, six months after the incident (not even one full school semester), with the violent student back at Lincoln High School,” the group stated. “We extend our apologies to the student leadership of Lincoln High School for essentially being slapped in the face by the SDUSD.”

A PTO meeting is also scheduled for Wednesday, September 7 at 5:30 p.m.

Most Popular Stories

Latest News

More News