Ex-hospital employee denies threatening co-workers

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SAN DIEGO — A fired Pomerado Hospital employee who posted threatening messages saying he planned to go on a killing spree against former supervisors and co-workers pleaded guilty Tuesday to five felony counts of making criminal threats.

Court, gavel, trialJelaan Ayinde Miles, 26, faces up to four years and eight months in state prison when sentenced Jan. 10 by Judge Joan Weber.

His guilty plea followed a mistrial that was declared last week when jurors deadlocked 11-1 for guilt on six criminal threat charges.

Detectives raided a home in the 2500 block of Fenton Parkway last April 18, seizing computers and firearms and arresting Miles. During their search, investigators found videos Miles made in which he showed off his mother’s gun and a sword, according to Deputy District Attorney Adam Gordon.

Miles worked at Pomerado Hospital as an environmental service worker, which includes housekeeping, before being fired in June 2012.

An administrative supervisor at the hospital, identified only as Marvene, testified that she had a few problems with Miles not following protocol last year.

She said that in early May, a worker from the operating room called her to complain that Miles had crossed into a sterile area without shoe covers. When confronted, Miles demanded to know who turned him in, Marvene testified.

Later in the operating room, Miles slammed a phone to the ground and threw coffee against the wall, the witness said. Marvene said she told Miles to leave and “cool off,” but he was found cleaning another area and was escorted out of the building.

This past April, a supervisor called Marvene to inform her about a posting on the website Yelp, in which the author threatened “to kill everyone in the hospital,” including herself.

“I was first on the list. I was afraid,” she testified.

Sheriff’s Detective Trina Cremans testified that the threats — also posted on the website Glassdoor — were “extremely serious.”

Detectives used email coordinates to track Miles down at a Mission Valley apartment where he lived with his parents, Cremans said. In the defendant’s room, detectives found an airsoft gun that looked real and three Samurai swords, she testified.

Cremans said detectives asked Miles about being fired from the hospital.

“He was very angry about it. He didn’t feel it was justified,” Cremans testified.

Miles said he had stopped taking his medications in November 2012 and admitted posting the threats online, according to the detective. She said the defendant also told her that he was “80 percent sure” he was going to go through with the threats and killings for revenge and to “ruin their (the victims’) world.”

Most Popular Stories

Latest News

More News