CHULA VISTA, Calif. – A 14-year-old boy from Chula Vista is making strides after losing his right leg due to a rare bacterial infection.
Giancarlo Gil, his family and doctors still don't know how he contracted a rare bacterial infection that was slowly consuming his body until doctors stepped in to save his life.
Somehow Gil had contracted necrotizing fascitis, a rare flesh-eating bacteria, which lead to his right leg being amputated at his upper thigh.
Eight months later, he is learning to walk again with the help of physical therapists and a prosthetic leg.
"I did think why this thing had to happen, but I thought about it a little bit more and decided to move forward, things happen for a reason," said Gil.
The 14-year-old's mother said in the beginning it was very difficult not knowing what was happening to her son.
"Initially, it was a shock because questions were coming. What the heck was going on? How did he contract this necrotizing fasciitis? I had never heard of it, to this day we don’t know he got it," said Silvia Gil, Giancarlo's mother.
During his recovery, Giancarlo has been home-schooled and will take summer courses to catch up.
He plans on returning to Chula Vista High School for his sophomore year and play baseball.