Chase suspect surrenders in Riverside; passenger also taken into custody

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

RIVERSIDE, Calif. — Authorities were in pursuit of a vehicle Tuesday evening before the driver and passenger were taken into custody after stopping the car in the middle of an intersection in Riverside.

The chase started when law enforcement officials tried pulling the car over for not having license plates and it fled from officers in Corona, according to California Highway Patrol. It came to an end when the car was blocked by several patrol cars — causing it to stop in the middle of the intersection of Indiana and La Sierra avenues, KTLA reported.

About 8:10 p.m., the vehicle was stopped after driving through surface streets at low speeds with law enforcement trailing behind, as seen in Sky5 video. Police had also pursued the vehicle along the 91 and 15 freeways beforehand.

The car, described by CHP as a silver Chevrolet sedan, could be seen stopped in the middle of an intersection as a line of three patrol vehicles with their lights flashing were stopped in front of it — facing the car head-on.

At 8:15 p.m., the driver, dressed in a white shirt and long dark shorts, could be seen getting out of the vehicle slowly with his arms raised.

He then turned around and started walking backwards toward the patrol vehicles. A minute later, as he was seen just a few feet away from the cruisers, he could be seen raising his shirt up — apparently showing whether weapons were on him.

He then got on his knees as uniformed officers placed him in handcuffs and escorted him away. Another man, also dressed in a white shirt and long shorts, was seen getting out of the vehicle at 8:17 p.m.

Raising his arms up, he also walked backward toward the law enforcement officers before kneeling on the ground and being taken into custody.

Minutes later, about 8:21 p.m., a K-9 unit on a leash ran over to the vehicle and jumped into the car. The dog’s leash appeared to get tangled around the car as he ran back towards the officers.

A minute later, five uniformed officers walked toward the vehicle — appearing to search through it and popping the trunk open with their guns raised, as seen in aerial footage of the scene.

Several bystanders at a Chevron gas station located on one corner of the intersection could be seen watching as authorities took the men into custody and searched the vehicle.

Most Popular Stories

Latest News

More News