Fire in converted garage leaves man homeless

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SAN DIEGO — An electrical fire in a makeshift apartment in the Carmel Valley area early Monday displaced the man living there and caused $150,000 in damage, authorities said.

The fire at 12498 Del Vino Court was reported at 5:16 a.m., according to the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department. It was declared knocked down about 30 minute later, a SD fire-rescue dispatcher said.

The fire occurred in a second-story apartment that had been built out of a home’s two-story garage, SDFRD Captain Joe Amador said, adding that a man living in the makeshift residence was displaced.

The man told firefighters that he woke up after he heard a loud pop. He then saw heavy smoke and called 911.

Fire crews had a tough time getting access to the building because it was more than 1,000 feet off the road.

The man lives alone and managed to get out safely. He cannot return to the apartment, so he is staying with family, authorities said.

Most Popular Stories

Latest News

More News