This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SAN DIEGO – The Ebola investigation has Centers for Disease Control and Prevention monitoring travelers at airports, but some are concerned no one is watching travelers crossing on foot at the border.

According to U.S. Customs and Border Protection, 94 percent of travelers from areas hardest hit with Ebola will arrive by plane. The other 6 percent will walk across U.S. borders, including San Ysidro and Otay Mesa.

National Border Patrol Council spokesman Gabe Pacheco said agents at the border are not up to the task of identifying the symptoms of Ebola.

“I’m not a medical physician,” said Pacheco. “I’m not medically trained to identify these things.”

The CBP issued a statement saying their officers and border patrol agents have received training to identify Ebola and are equipped with proper protective gear.

Pacheco said that the statement is simply not true.

“We have not been trained,” he said. “There are no protocols in place and we haven’t seen any protective equipment. We haven’t had anyone tell us these are the protocols you’re going to be using.”

Around 60,000 people cross the Otay and San Ysidro borders every day. Sources within the CBP told Fox 5, they are overwhelmed with people claiming political asylum.

Last week, 300 people were detained, but the agency is only equipped to handle 180 people, according to the sources. They added that none of them were screened for Ebola.

“I know we are getting overflow from the San Ysidro Port of Entry,” said Pacheco. “Could something slip through? Absolutely! We don’t know what’s coming across right now.”