Bail set at $5M for suspect in barbershop murder


Barbershop, Murder

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SAN DIEGO — An alleged member of a high-level international drug trafficking operation pleaded not guilty Friday to a murder charge stemming from his alleged involvement in the shooting death of an Oak Park barbershop owner.

Ian Patrick Guthrie, 38, was ordered held on $5 million bail.

Deputy District Attorney Sophia Roach told Judge Kathleen Lewis that Guthrie acted as a lookout in the planned and premeditated killing of 32-year-old Lamar Canady.

“He advising the shooter in this case of when the victim would be available for execution,” said Roach.

Roach sought $10 million bail for the defendant, alleging Guthrie had ties to other states and other countries and represented an incredible danger to the community, as well as a flight risk.

The prosecutor said Guthrie had a 1997 conviction from New York for manslaughter, which was originally charged as a robbery and murder.

Guthrie was arrested Wednesday in Rancho Penasquitos. A second suspect, 47-year-old Peter Johnson, was tracked down in his hometown of Kansas City, Missouri, and is being held there pending extradition proceedings.

Canady was fatally shot late on the morning of May 9 at his barbershop in the 5400 block of Redwood Street. The father of four died at the scene.

Prosecutors allege that Johnson was the trigger man who gunned Canady down.

Authorities have released no suspected motive for the slaying or disclosed the relationships, if any, among the suspects and Canady.

Canady’s family members told Fox 5 that they were stunned by the prosecution’s allegations of a drug connection to the shooting.

“He wasn’t into like they say gang related he put all that behind 6 7 years ago, you know years,” said Melissa Hernandez, Canady’s fiancee.

Hernandez said the capture of Guthrie and Johnson provides some sense of closure, but the biggest question still remains.

“We got justice.  75 percent of me is happy, the other 25 percent is still a little upset, because I want to know why.”

A status conference was set for Sept. 8 and a preliminary hearing for Sept. 11.  Prosecutors hope to have Johnson extradited back to San Diego by that date.

Most Popular Stories

Latest News

More News