1 of 4 men sentenced for shotgun slaying in PB home

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SAN DIEGO — One of four men who pleaded guilty in connection with last year’s shotgun slaying of a Pacific Beach resident was sentenced Friday to eight years in state prison.

Freddy Sosa, 38, pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter for his role in the death of 44-year-old MarcAnthony Mendivil, who was shot in a home in the 2300 block of Wilbur Avenue last Dec. 29.

Sosa’s co-defendants, Carlos Yslas, 25, Pedro Ramirez, 28, and Paul Charles Weinberger, 51, await sentencing. Yslas and Ramirez pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter, while Weinberger pleaded to an assault with a deadly weapon count.

Yslas, who fired the fatal shots, faces up to 30 years in state prison when he is sentenced Jan. 10.

Ramirez, who faces eight years in prison, is also due to be sentenced Jan. 10, while Weinberger is slated to be sentenced to up to four years in prison on Dec. 6.

A probation report filed with the court indicates Mendivil was living at Weinberger’s home at the time of his death.

Sosa had previously lived at the home, but was kicked out by Weinberger following a dispute, the report states. Mendivil then moved in, but soon after, Weinberger contacted Sosa asking him for help in removing Mendivil from the home for unspecified reasons, investigators were told.

Weinberger told police he was drugged on the night of Mendivil’s killing and forced to withdraw cash from his bank to pay Yslas and Ramirez, who were brought in to assist in forcibly removing Mendivil from the home, the document states.

However, in the process of forcing Mendivil out, Yslas shot Mendivil twice, possibly because he thought the victim was reaching for a weapon, according to the report.

Officers found Mendivil suffering from a gunshot wound when they responded to a 1:47 a.m. call of a possible shooting last Dec. 29, San Diego police Lt. Matt Dobbs said. He died at a hospital about 45 minutes later, Dobbs said.

Deputy District Attorney Flavio Nominati said during Yslas and Ramirez’s arraignment earlier this year that both men entered the home masked and gloved. The men fled the scene in a vehicle following the shooting, according to Nominati.

Weinberger and Sosa were arrested the day of the killing, while Yslas and Ramirez were already in custody on unrelated charges when they were re- arrested and charged in February for their roles in the homicide.

Most Popular Stories

Latest News

More News