Officers shoot, kill man who opened fire in San Ysidro trailer park

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

SAN DIEGO -- Police shot a man to death at a trailer park in San Ysidro Wednesday afternoon after witnesses said he opened fire with a rifle.

Police were called to West Calle Primera near Willow Road around 1:30 p.m. after a man was reported walking through the park with a rifle resembling an AK-47 and firing the gun at least twice. Multiple people said the man pointed the weapon at them.

When police arrived, the man neared the officers and fired a round, officials said. The man then hid behind a row of RVs and was seen again a few seconds later, still holding the rifle. An officer told the man to drop the weapon but he refused. A witness said the man then raised the weapon in the direction of the officers. Police opened fire, hitting the man and knocking him to the ground, officials said. Officers and medics tried to save the man's life but he was pronounced at the scene, according to police.

“At that point the witness saw the suspect point the rifle at the officers. The officer fired several rounds at the subject, struck the subject, the subject went down, officers immediately performed lifesaving measures on the subject until relieved by medics… medics arrived the subject was pronounced dead at the scene," said San Diego Homicide Captain Anthony Dupree.

Officials said they knew the man's identity but did not release his name, only saying he was a 50-year-old Hispanic man and was believed to have lived in the trailer park.

The name of the officer who fired his weapon has not been released. Police described him only as a 2 1/2 year veteran of San Diego Police Department.

Helicopter video shortly after the shooting showed officers roping off the trailer park and investigators interviewing people nearby. Police said the man had "retrieved a weapon" from the trailer park and that officers found a gun at the scene.

Officials said no one else -- including officers -- was hurt in the incident and that they were not searching for any other suspects.

Willow Elementary School was locked down during the incident but the order was lifted a short time later. There was one custodian and two gardeners at the school, but no students were there because classes were not in session due to spring break.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.