Candle fire burns down home in North County

VISTA, Calif. – A candle was blamed for causing a fire that destroyed a home in Vista, the homeowner said Thursday morning.

The fire destroyed a house on the 1900 block of Buena Creek Road in Vista. It started around 11:40 p.m. Wednesday.

Four people and two dogs were inside the home when a burning candle fell over and started the blaze,  the homeowner told FOX 5. Everyone, including the pets made it out of the home, which was quickly engulfed in flames.

Some neighbors quickly ran to help when they saw the flames light up the night sky.

“My main concern was making sure the homeowner was okay. We came over as fast as we could to make sure no one was hurt and out of the house,” one neighbor said. “The owner said everyone was good.”

Multiple fire agencies responded to the property to battle the flames. The recent rain filled a creek across the road to the property, making it difficult for firefighters to drive their engines to the house.

"Because Buena Creek is actually flowing, we had to pull the hose lines across Arizona Crossing, it's called. And so we ended up pulling our hose lines from Buena Creek about 500 feet across the stream to get to the house that was on fire," a fire captain said.

It took dozens of firefighters more than an hour to bring the raging blaze under control. By that time, portions of the roof had collapsed and the house and its contents were a complete loss.

There was an issue with a nearby powerline. San Diego Gas & Electric crews went to the property and secured the area.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.