Portable heater sparks South Bay garage fire

CHULA VISTA, Calif. — A portable heater being used too close to flammable materials in the garage of an Otay Mesa house sparked a fire Monday that displaced five residents.

The non-injury blaze in the 800 block of Narwhal Street was reported about 7:15 a.m., according to the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department.

Firefighters were able to get the flames under control within five minutes, SDFRD spokeswoman Monica Munoz said.

The American Red Cross was called in to help the four adults and one child who live in the home arrange for interim housing.

“We always remind folks not to walk away from a space heater that is on,” Munoz said. “Also, never plug a space heater into a power strip, and have at least three feet of clearance all around the space heater.”

Google Map for coordinates 32.582055 by -117.054788.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.