SAN DIEGO – An apartment near San Diego State University was evacuated Thursday after a gas leak, officials said.
A construction worker digging near Montezuma Road and Campanile Drive hit a gas line around 11:30 a.m., according to San Diego Fire-Rescue spokeswoman Monica Munoz. San Diego Gas & Electric crews were notified and worked to repair the 3/4-inch steel gas line.
SDFD crews were evacuating a nearby apartment complex, Munoz said.
The gas leak was controlled by 1 p.m. and residents were allowed to return home later Thursday afternoon, officials confirmed.