Recycle your Christmas tree
SAN DIEGO — The 45th annual Christmas tree recycling program run by the City Environmental Services Department kicked off Wednesday morning and runs through Jan. 23.
San Diego residents can recycle their Christmas trees seven days a week at no charge at the Miramar Landfill Greenery at 5180 Convoy St. off State Route 52.
Only clean trees are accepted at city recycling locations. All tree stands, lights, ornaments, tinsel and non-recyclable materials must be removed from trees before they can be recycled. Trees from commercial tree lots or fundraising projects are not accepted. Those trees can be dropped off during normal business hours at Miramar Greenery for a nominal fee.
Flocked trees (fake snow) are accepted at city tree recycling locations. Only trees, not the plastic bags they are transported in, are accepted. All trees will be recycled into high-quality mulch and compost.
Curbside yard waste recycling customers can also recycle trees through the curbside collection program by placing trees at the curb with their regular yard waste recycling bin. Customers with automated greenery containers must cut up their clean trees into roughly 3-foot pieces to fit easily inside their greenery container. Curbside recycling program customers should remove all non- recyclable materials before placing trees inside the automated bin or at the curb next to yard waste collection containers.
- Carmel Valley – Carmel Valley Recreation Center, 3777 Townsgate Dr. (lower parking lot)
- Encanto – Cielo Drive at Woodman Street
- Golden Hill – Golden Hill Recreation Center, 2600 Golf Course Dr.
- La Jolla – Kate Sessions Memorial Park, corner of Mt. Soledad Road and Loring Street
- Logan Heights – Memorial Recreation Center, 2902 Marcy Ave.
- Miramar – The Greenery at the Miramar Landfill, 5180 Convoy St. (north of state Route 52)
- Mission Bay – Seaworld Drive at Pacific Highway
- Oak Park – Chollas Lake, 6350 College Grove Drive (in Gloria’s Mesa parking lot)
- Ocean Beach – Robb Field Recreation Center, 2525 Bacon St.
- Otay Mesa/Nestor – Montgomery Waller Community Park (lower parking lot on the southeast corner of
Palm Avenue and Beyer Boulevard)
- Rancho Bernardo – Rancho Bernardo Recreation Center, 18448 W. Bernardo Dr.
- Rancho Penasquitos – Canyonside Recreation Center, 12350 Black Mountain Rd.
- San Diego State University – Parking Lot 17C off of Alvarado Rd.
- Scripps Ranch – Scripps Ranch Recreation Center, 11454 Blue Cypress Dr.
- Tierrasanta – De Portola Middle School, 11010 Clairemont Mesa Blvd.
- University City – Swanson Pool, 3585 Governor Drive