Bird droppings may have sparked house fire

SAN DIEGO - At least eight birds died in a fire that broke out in a birdcage and caused $100,000 in damage to a house in the Skyline neighborhood of San Diego, officials said.

Dispatchers received reports shortly after 2:10 p.m. Monday of a fire in the backyard of a house in the 8300 block of Noeline Lane, San Diego Fire- Rescue spokeswoman Monica Munoz said.

A neighbor who spotted the flames helped the resident, a cat and a dog get out of the home, called 911 and began dumping water on the flames, Munoz said.

Firefighters were able to knock down the flames in about 10 minutes, Munoz said. No injuries were reported.

A fire captain at the scene initially believed bird droppings in the cage were the source of the fire, but a Metro Arson Strike Team captain says there was not enough information or evidence to make a determination.

Three palm trees, eight to 10 birds and part of the exterior of the home were burned, Munoz said.

The fire caused an estimated $100,000 in damage to the property, Munoz said.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.