Firefighters knock down blaze at Point Loma ‘hoarder house’

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SAN DIEGO -- Fire crews responded to the scene of what officials described as a 'hoarder house' in Point Loma Sunday.

"It was a house full of debris it was a hoarder house… the two residents did manage to get out," said San Diego Fire and Rescue Battalion Chief Craig Newell.

Neighbors who live adjacent to the home alerted authorities sometime around 8 a.m. of the house fire.

Two residents managed to escape in the nick of time, said Battalion Chief Craig Newell, with San Diego Fire-Rescue.

Newell added the family did not have operating smoke detectors inside their home and they were informed of the fire by neighbors who spotted smoke coming from their house.

After leaving the fire, the residents went back into the home to rescue their dog.

Chief Newell urges residents not to run back into a burning building for any reason, because it causes a much greater risk.

The full-sized German Shepard managed to escape the burning home on her own.  Authorities contacted Animal Control, but neighbors voluntarily took the dog in.

"Yeah he’s a nice dog," said neighbor Jake Zalesny. "We saw him come run out of the house and one of the officers was actually a K9 unit officer so he had a leash on hand so we put it on this guy. We decided since we have a huge backyard and he lives right next to us we might as well take him in."

The fire posed a challenge for fire crews as it was difficult to get access and that debris were piled "waist-high," said Newell.

"Crews had very difficult access getting in to fight the fire getting through the house there was piled debris waist high throughout the entire structure," said San Diego Fire and Rescue Battalion Chief Craig Newell.

Authorities believe the fire may have started in the kitchen.

There is extensive damage through the house and attic, said Newell.

One resident was transported to a local hospital for evaluation of smoke inhalation.

The amount of damages has not been determined.

The Red Cross was requested for the displaced residents.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.