DEL MAR, Calif. — Opening Day at the Del Mar Racetrack wouldn’t be complete without the big, bold hats in the crowd.
More than $5,000 in prizes was up for grabs in the Opening Day Hats contest in the Plaza de Mexico. Categories included most glamorous, best racing theme, most outrageous, best fascinator and best flowers. There was no fee to participate.
Winners in each category received $300 plus a $500 Kendra Scott Color Bar Gift Card and Studio Savvy gift basket. Second place is worth $200 and third place $100. All entrants received two free passes to return to the races.
The grand prize winner was Leslie Monroy of San Diego. Monroy received a one-night stay at the Fairmont Grand Del Mar, dinner for two at the Addison Restaurant and a Studio Savvy Salon gift basket, all valued at over $1,500.
Here were the finalists in each category:
- Best Racing Theme: BJ West of San Diego, Lori Shelton of San Diego
- Most Outrageous: Ashley Tejada of Los Angeles, Leslie Monroy of Spring Valley
- Most Glamorous: Kimberly Miller of Lake Forest, Sarah Holbrook of San Diego
- Best Fascinator: Crystal Larson Looney of Vista, Fohl Aubry of Dana Point
- Best Flowers: Liliana Prieto of San Diego, Jukie Moehrke of Carlsbad