Carbon monoxide spreads through local shops, hospitalizing 1

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

EL CAJON, Calif. -- An exhaust fan that appeared to have been accidentally turned off led to high levels of carbon monoxide at an El Cajon shopping center Sunday, triggering evacuations of multiple businesses.

Firefighters were called to a Starbucks on Fletcher Parkway near Navajo Road about 8:15 a.m. to assist with an employee who reported difficulty breathing, said Heartland Fire and Rescue spokesperson Sonny Saghera.

While at the scene, the firefighters monitored the air and noticed carbon monoxide inside the coffee shop, Saghera said. Workers and customers were cleared out of the Starbucks and nearby businesses, including an adjacent bagel shop, the Golden Bagel Cafe.

Firefighters were able to trace the carbon monoxide to the bagel shop, and found an exhaust fan above a boiler had apparently been turned off, allowing the gas to collect and spread, Saghera said.

A hazardous materials team was able to ventilate the businesses, and people were then allowed back inside.

The Starbucks employee was taken to a hospital for treatment.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.