El Cajon family left homeless after apartment fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

EL CAJON, Calif. - A family in El Cajon lost everything they own in an apartment fire Sunday.

The fire broke out around 5:50 p.m. Sunday in a unit on Ballantyne Street. At least six firefighting crews went to the apartment to battle the blaze.

No one was injured, but the family lost all of their personal items in the fire.

“He’s scared and his wife she can not even talk, and before he [came home] she was telling me. ‘What am I going to tell my husband? He’s worked for many many years.’ She’s really sad,” Aram Mekha, who helped translate for the couple, said.

The couple believes it may have been a candle that started the fire.

The Red Cross is now helping them out.